The club was formed in the summer of 2000 running teams for boys at cadet (under 16) and junior (under 18) levels and senior women in the national basketball league. Since then the club has grown and now provides opportunities for girls, boys, women and men to play, coach and officiate in the exciting game of basketball.
Teams compete in both local and national competitions and whilst success on the court is important to us, the club is committed to providing opportunities for people to develop their interests and skills in coaching, officiating and administration.
The club has a vision of where it wants to be in five years time:
'To ensure that everyone within the extended community of Derby is aware of and has access to the club and that there are opportunities for people to be involved at all levels whether as a player, coach, official, administrator or volunteer.'
To realise its vision the club has set itself the following targets:
• To have teams in all local and national league competitions.
• To establish a community basketball programme that provides opportunities for all young people in and around Derby to be involved in basketball.
• To establish links with schools and youth organisations within the community.
• To establish a development programme for coaches, officials and administrators.
• To have a competitive national league ladies side.
• To be competing in division one of the men's national league.
This is a community club run by a group of dedicated volunteers. The structure of the club is designed to ensure its long term future and to build the capacity to increase the opportunities it offers in basketball. We believe we are a friendly club who put the interests of its members first. Generally people who join the club want to stay, something we are very proud of.
One of our first teams many years ago. Pictured on your right is the late Clarence Wiggins